Open Forum

IRS form to authorize contact for 941 taxes

• Select all regions this post applies to
  • U.S.
Anonymous Member's profile image
Anonymous Member posted 05-23-2024 15:41
This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous

I could use some help figuring out which IRS form to complete to allow the IRS to discuss a 941 tax notice with me.  ADP usually files and manages IRS communication on our behalf.  ADP states that a recent IRS notice references a tax amount that did not originate from ADP and stated that we'd have to research it with the IRS directly.  Our controller thought we should complete Form 8655 to add me as an authorized contact but I'm thinking 8821 seems a better fit.  I don't want to take any action on the company's behalf - I just want to know what info the IRS has received that didn't come from ADP.  Thank you for any clarification you can provide.

Anonymous Member

Last fall, I had to chat with IRS to check on our remaining ERC; they had me complete an 8821 but it has to be faxed while you're on the phone with them to a specific fax # they provide @ the time of the call. It took some fancy footwork as I'm 100% remote w/no land line but had an office person standing by to fax immediately & that worked. 

Anonymous Member

I completed Form 8821 to be able to talk to the IRS regarding our 941's.  I faxed it to them and then it took a couple of weeks to be issued a CAF (Centralized Authorization File) number, which allows me to talk to them about our company's 941 tax issues.

Tara Palmer, CPP's profile image
Tara Palmer, CPP

I just wanted to chime in to say that form 8655 is a Reporting Agent Authorization.  Our clients sign form 8655 to give us the permission to file and pay certain returns on their behalf.  This form does not give us authorization to speak to the IRS on the client's behalf.  Your company likely signed form 8655 to allow ADP to file and pay certain returns, but that form did not give them the authority to discuss this matter with the IRS. The bottom of form 8655 states the following:  

The authority granted on Form 8655 will not revoke any Power of Attorney (Form 2848) or Tax Information Authorization (Form 8821) in effect.

I think you're on the right path with using 8821, especially with the other answers here combined with their experiences.  

When we take on a new client, they will sign form 8655 to allow us to file their payroll returns, and they sign form 2848 to allow us to speak to the IRS on their behalf.